Chinese cyber operations will continue in 2021
The 12 organizations targeted in 2020 are
- Power System Operation Corporation Ltd,
- NTPC Ltd
- NTPC Kudgi STPP,
- Western Regional Load Shipping Center
- Southern regional freight forwarding center
- Northeast Regional Load Shipping Center
- Eastern Regional Load Shipping Center
- Telangana State Load Shipping Center
- Delhi State Load Shipping Center
- DTL Tikri Kalan (Mundka) of Delhi Transco Ltd
- VO Port of Chidambaranar
- Mumbai Port Trust
As bilateral tensions continue to rise, “we expect to see a continued increase in cyber operations by China-related groups such as RedEcho, in line with national strategic interests,” the Recorded Future report said.
In addition, according to the report, China is likely to continue to exert influence over other countries, especially those within the sphere of influence of their BRI investment program, which could lead to further cyber operations aimed at strengthening the strategic advantage.
Ahlberg ruled out the possibility that the targeting was done for material benefit or for cyber espionage.
According to him, targeting poses “pre-positioning problems”. This means that the targeting was done to achieve network positioning in advance in order to gain specific benefits.
According to the company’s conclusions, this pre-positioning could have been carried out for:
- Intelligence gathering for future online activity
- Place destructive malware
- As a warning / show of force during increased bilateral tensions
- Potential information operation to disrupt the Indian population
(The Quint is available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)